Since you're here, we assume that you're considering contacting a Newark personal injury lawyer about a potential claim. If that's true, there are a few things you should know about our Firm:
- We offer free, no-obligation case reviews. If you think you have a personal injury claim, you have nothing to lose by speaking to us about your case, and much to gain.
- We work on a contingency fee basis. If you retain us to handle your claim, you pay us nothing out of pocket.
- Time is of the essence. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years.
Not ready to talk to one of our attorneys? No problem. We invite you to keep reading to gain a better understanding of what it means to have a personal injury claim in New Jersey.
Personal Injury & Car Accident Lawyer in Newark, NJ
Newark is known for its musical history and art collection. Unfortunately, like all cities, accidents and injuries still occur daily.
The State of New Jersey Department of Transportation states that in 2019, New Jersey had 525 fatal crashes, with 559 people losing their lives. While the number of overall fatalities has declined in the last decade, there have been several years where spikes occurred. The highest counties with fatalities in recent years include Middlesex, Essex, and Camden.
Besides these accidents, more injuries, both physical and emotional, occur from medical malpractice, product and premises liability, and even harassment in the workplace. If you sustained an injury in Newark, you deserve compensation and justice.
At O’Connor, Parsons, Lane, and Noble, our personal injury lawyers in Newark, NJ, will work to get you the compensation you deserve and hold the responsible party accountable.
O’Connor, Parsons, Lane, and Noble has a long history of helping clients get compensation for their injuries and accidents. Our firm cares deeply for the surrounding community and the families within it.
We believe that it is our duty to help these families by fighting for their right for justice and compensation. If you or a loved one was injured in an accident in New Jersey, you need a reliable and loyal attorney from our firm to help you through this difficult time.
Do I Have a Valid Personal Injury Claim?
Before moving forward with your personal injury case, you will have to determine whether you have a valid personal injury claim.
A personal injury claim is a type of negligence claim. Thus, to win your personal injury case, you will need to be able to prove that another party was negligent in causing your accident.
The elements of a New Jersey negligence claim are duty, breach, causation, and damages. Essentially, you must be able to prove the following to have a valid personal injury claim:
- Another party owed you a legal duty to act reasonably under the circumstances;
- That party breached their duty by failing to act as a reasonably prudent person would have;
- The opposing party’s breach caused your accident; and
- You suffered actual damages.
To win your case, you must be able to prove all four elements. If even one element is not present, you will not be able to recover.
It can be difficult knowing how to prove the elements of your personal injury claim, but we’re here to help.
If you think you might have a valid personal injury claim, contact O’Connor, Parsons, Lane & Noble today. Our team of experienced Newark personal injury lawyers can review your case and help you determine whether you have a valid personal injury claim to pursue.
Types of Injuries & and Cases
Our personal injury lawyer in Newark, NJ is dedicated to working with clients to build strong claims in the following areas:
- Personal injury;
- Vehicular accidents;
- Brain injuries;
- Medical malpractice;
- Employment law;
- Product liability; and
- Premises liability.
Depending on the circumstances of the incident, your injuries can range from mild to catastrophic. Some of the most common injuries we see in personal injury claims are:
- Neck injuries ranging from whiplash to disc injuries;
- Head injuries ranging from mild concussion to traumatic brain injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis;
- Lacerations with severe scarring;
- Broken bones;
- Lower body injuries, including pelvis, legs, and feet;
- Hip fractures;
- Birth injuries including cerebral palsy;
- Diseases related to toxic chemical or substance exposure;
- Infections and organ damage;
- Burn injuries; and
- Loss of Limb.
If a family member passes away due to their injuries, you may have the right to bring a wrongful death claim. Under New Jersey law, you might be able to recover for loss of companionship and loss of earning capacity. However, the laws are very strict on what damages you can recover and who is entitled to receive any settlement or court award. To maximize your family’s chance at recovery, you need a skilled attorney representing you.
At O’Connor, Parsons, Lane, and Noble, our car accident lawyer in Newark, NJ, fights to protect our clients’ rights and future. With years of experience in hundreds of cases, our lawyers will create a strong claim for your case to get the best possible outcome.
Compensation for Personal Injury in New Jersey
Under New Jersey law, you must file your personal injury claim within two years of the date of the crash (New Jersey Revised Statutes section 2A:14-2). If you fail to file your claim within this time period, your case will be dismissed, and you may lose your right to compensation.
After sustaining an injury in an accident, speak to a personal injury lawyer in Newark, NJ, to file your claim on time.
In New Jersey, there are four types of damages that you can receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses,
- Lost wages,
- Out-of-pocket expenses that are not medical expenses or lost wages, and
- Compensation for personal pain and suffering.
For monetary damages, make sure that you keep every bill and receipt resulting from your accident and injuries. Make copies of everything and keep all of the documents and receipts in a secure place.
Victims of negligence in New Jersey are also entitled to compensation for non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering. This type of compensation is non-economic because it does not reimburse you for actual monetary losses.
How Injuries and Damages Impact Your Settlement
The amount of compensation you receive in a personal injury case is directly related to your injuries and amount of damages. When calculating non-economic damages like pain and suffering, some insurance adjusters use a formula method. That means the higher your economic damages total is, the more likely you are to receive a larger amount for your pain and suffering.
Retaining the right personal injury attorney early on can also help maximize your case value. Your attorney will not only help protect your rights, but they will help prevent you from making mistakes that could jeopardize your case value.
A common error many plaintiffs make is to continue posting on social media. The defendant’s insurance company will look at your social media to determine whether what you are posting lines up with your alleged injuries. Don’t claim an accident left you bedridden and then post updated photos from a long weekend getaway. The defendant’s insurance company will likely use that against you.
It may be necessary to hire experts on your behalf to help prove the extent of your injuries and your damages. These respected professionals can testify on your behalf about different aspects of your case. Perhaps you need someone to confirm your injuries were related to the accident or to support your claim that you are disabled and cannot work in the same capacity again.
How Long Will My Newark Personal Injury Case Take?
Unfortunately, there is no average time that a Newark personal injury case might take.
Factors that may affect the length of your case might include:
- The specific facts and circumstances surrounding your case;
- The complexity of the law surrounding your specific legal issue;
- The extent and severity of your injuries arising out of your accident; and
- The willingness of the parties to settle the case.
Depending on the above factors, a case might take weeks, months, or even years to resolve.
While most personal injury cases end in some form of out-of-court settlement, that is not always the case. At O’Connor, Parsons, Lane & Noble, we will settle your case only if that is what is in your best interest. If you need to take your case to trial, we have the resources and experience necessary to do so.
Regardless of how long your case takes to resolve, know that our team of attorneys will be there every step of the way fighting for your rights.
How to Find the Best Newark Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Case
A quick internet search for “Newark personal injury lawyers” will likely yield more results than you can even count. So how do you narrow those down to find the best Newark personal injury lawyer for your case?
Selecting an attorney out of so many options can feel overwhelming. Below are some tips to help make the decision feel more manageable:
- Search for reviews and ratings on websites such as Avvo and Super Lawyers;
- Check out the websites of attorneys you are considering, paying special attention their areas of expertise;
- Look for an attorney with trial experience; and
- Contact your potential attorney for a consultation to discuss your case with them and get a feel for whether they seem like a good fit for you.
Using these tips can help you find not just any attorney but the best one for your personal injury case.
Get a free personal injury case review
Are you looking for a qualified Personal Injury Lawyer in Jersey City? If so, simply submit the short form below to speak with an experienced attorney from OPLN about your case.
How a Newark Injury Lawyer Can Help
Our car accident lawyers in Newark, NJ pursue the highest possible compensation for your losses. An experienced personal injury attorney can evaluate your accident and injuries and determine what builds a strong legal claim. Let a lawyer from our firm navigate the personal injury claims process so you can focus on recovery.
At O’Connor, Parsons, Lane, and Noble, we are prepared to:
- File complaints in court, argue cases, prepare legal documents, and offer experienced and professional legal advice;
- Conduct research and gather evidence to build a strong case; and
- Get you the maximum compensation for your injuries and losses.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident in New Jersey, you need a compassionate and dedicated attorney on your side who will do whatever it takes to get fair compensation. For instance, here are some testimonials from previous clients:
Patrick T., a client who moved to O’Connor, Parsons, Lane & Noble after having difficulties with his personal injury claim, said the following:
Everyone I spoke to at the firm also offered the utmost help when I needed it. Sometimes I would get down about the process and just needed to hear a few nice words and I always got them from the staff. Even recently, several years later, I called Scott for help with a question about a legal issue. He called me right back and was happy to give me advice. If I would ever need a lawyer again, Scott Parsons would be the man!Patrick
Marie G., another client who moved to O’Connor, Parsons, Lane & Noble after having difficulties with her personal injury claim, said the following:
“Words can't truly express how much I appreciate everything you have done for me. When we started on this journey 2 years ago on “the eleventh hour,” I was very concerned because of the problems I was having before I retained you. You quickly put my mind to rest by explaining everything to me, and answering all my questions. The outcome of this lawsuit is nothing less than a miracle because of the many obstacles we faced. I know that your professionalism, knowledge, dedication, and patience is what got us through.”Marie
We have won multi-million dollar settlements for clients involved in many types of accidents:
- We recovered $28 million in damages for a client who suffered from the doctor’s negligence to order a test for a muscle-wasting disease. She recovered $15 million in future medical expenses and $13 million for anguish.
- We recovered $22.6 million in damages for a client who was the victim of physical and verbal abuse and employment discrimination. He recovered monetary damages for medical bills and emotional trauma.
- We recovered $15 million in damages for a client whose baby suffered due to the doctor’s negligence to perform heart surgery. Her family recovered damages for current and future medical bills and emotional distress.
- We recovered $14.9 million in damages for a client whose baby developed cerebral palsy after a nurse and neonatal nurse failed to provide a blood transfusion to a newborn.
Our personal injury lawyers in Newark, NJ, put your best interests first and care about the outcome of your case. The goal of O’Connor, Parsons, Lane, and Noble is to help you receive compensation and justice for your injury.
Your Newark, NJ Personal Injury Lawyer is Here to Help
At O’Connor, Parsons, Lane, and Noble, our personal injury lawyers in Newark, NJ, are advocates for injured victims. If you or a loved one were injured in New Jersey, we are ready to help. For a free consultation for your personal injury case, please contact our law firm today.