Tractor Trailer Accidents
NEW JERSEY TRACTOR TRAILER ACCIDENT LAWYERS
TRUCKING ACCIDENT CLAIM
New Jersey is popular for constant tractor trailer congestion. Because it is home to some of the world’s busiest ports and has more than 39,000 miles of public roadway, New Jersey depends on the trucking industry as a vital component of its economy. However, tractor trailers, because of their sheer weight and size, can be a threatening presence to drivers of smaller vehicles. Tractor trailers are easily the largest vehicles on the road, which is why truck drivers are held to such a high standard. You need to have a special license to drive these vehicles and you have to follow strict guidelines. Each year, thousands of people get into accidents and sustain severe, sometimes fatal, injuries because of truck driver negligence.
FEDERAL REGULATIONS AND VIOLATIONS
In order to keep all drivers and passengers safe, the trucking industry is heavily regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). While most trucking companies, and the drivers they employ, follow FMCSA rules, there are some who ignore Federal regulations in order to increase profit margins. Some hazardous factors restricted by Federal Regulation which may increase the risk of an accident include:
- Speeding (especially in certain road conditions)
- Overloading trailers or unsecured loads
- Skipping drive rest breaks ot driving more hours in a shift than permitted by law (driver fatigue)
- Distracted drivers
- Alcohol and drugs
- Victims of truck accidents
When truckers drive unsafely, motorists and their passengers are at great risk for bodily harm with sometimes fatal results.
- Other Drivers: In a collision with an automobile, the truck always wins. The weight, size and bulk of a truck and/or trailer always makes it a deadly force to other drivers who fall victim to truck driver negligence
- Pedestrians: A trucker who is driving carelessly or subject to blind spots, cannot protect the safety of pedestrians. It only takes a split second for a very serious injury and accident to happen.
- Bicyclists: Bicyclists do not stand a chance in an accident with a truck. If a truck driver is not driving cautiously, an accident with a bicyclist can be tragic.
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a truck accident, you want an attorney on your side who can conduct a thorough investigation to protect your rights. Due to the large number of involved parties, tractor trailer accidents are more complex to litigate than standard car-on-car accident cases. The attorneys at O’Connor, Parsons, Lane & Noble have the expertise and knowledge in this area of the law to determine who is responsible and the appropriation of fault. We will obtain the trucking company’s driving logs and research the backgrounds of the drivers, including their traffic records.
Contact the New Jersey tractor trailer accident lawyers at the offices of O’Connor, Parsons, Lane & Noble. Contact us online or call at 1-908-928-9200 or 1-800-586-5817 for a free no obligation consultation.